I’ve been reinstalling Ubuntu (11.04, Natty Narwhal) a lot lately, because my computing environment is in a lot of flux right now. I wiped my desktop computer, have a relatively new laptop, had a laptop at Intel, and now have a desktop at CMU.
As a result, my package installation routine is more or less down to a science right now. Here are the packages I am sure to install–and sure to uninstall–right at the start, along with brief commentary.
- zsh — my shell of choice.
- vim exuberant-ctags — necessary for editing all manner of text file.
- haskell-platform — Haskell, with batteries included.
- texlive-latex-extra (and hence, most of the other LaTeX packages) — I use LaTeX whenever I need to format text.
- subversion git — these come in handy, even if you don’t use one (or both) of these yourself.
- gdebi gparted rar gv — I always find myself using these at random times. (The rar package also enables RAR support in many other programs.)
- compizconfig-settings-manager — to tweak the default Ubuntu settings for window animation, etc.
- gnome-do — like Quicksilver or Spotlight.
- nautilus-open-terminal — adds “Open in Terminal” to your context menu.
- vlc — plays all media files.
- gimp — mostly to convert and resize images. (Alternative: imagemagick.)
- cmus — my favorite library-based music player.
- exfalso eyed3 — edit mp3 tags, before importing into library. I use exfalso for the text fields, and eyed3 to add album art.
- deluge — a good BitTorrent client.
- virtualbox-ose — for virtualization.
- libncurses5-dev — needed for Petite Chez Scheme, below.
Other things to install
- Google Chrome, from official .deb, so it adds the Chrome repository.
- Petite Chez Scheme, for Scheme.
- unity ^unity-* — I don’t like the new Unity UI.
- shotwell tomboy ubuntuone-client — I don’t want these programs.
- empathy empathy-common — I prefer Pidgin, if I end up using IM.
- gwibber gwibber-service-* — really?
- transmission-common — I prefer Deluge.
If you want exactly the above, you can just run:
sudo apt-get install zsh vim exuberant-ctags haskell-platform texlive-latex-extra subversion git gdebi gparted rar gv compizconfig-settings-manager gnome-do nautilus-open-terminal vlc gimp cmus exfalso eyed3 deluge virtualbox-ose libncurses5-dev
sudo apt-get remove unity ^unity-* shotwell tomboy ubuntuone-client empathy empathy-common gwibber gwibber-service-* transmission-common